Developed by our Resident Nutritionist, Jan Marie, these Hot Cross Buns are healthy, natural, and guilt-free for the whole family.
Visit Nutrition with Jan Marie’s website.
PREP TIME: 20 minutes
COOK TIME: 20-25 minutes
MAKES: approx. 25 crackers
• 3 cups buckwheat or chickpea flour
• 3 tbsp golden flaxseed meal
• 3 tsp gluten-free baking powder
• 1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil
• 1 1/2 cups of organic coconut or almond milk
• 1/4 cup organic maple syrup or natural organic honey
• 2 tsp natural vanilla extract
• 1 tsp ground cinnamon
• Pinch nutmeg and allspice
• 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen), or raisins if you want to go traditional
• 1/4 cup coconut milk
• 4 tbsp coconut oil
• 1 tbsp coconut flour
Preheat your oven to 160°C fan forced. Set aside blueberries/raisins. Firstly, combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then mix in the wet ingredients gently until a sticky dough is formed. The dough should thicken and absorb all of the moisture from the milk as it rests for 5-10 minutes. Stir in gently the blueberries/raisins to evenly distribute. Divide mixture evenly into a muffin tin of your choice and bake for 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
To make the crosses on top, melt the coconut oil and mix with remaining ingredients. Allow to cool slightly then pipe on top of hot cross buns.